Saturday, September 17, 2022

Looking At... Cancelled Invader Zim Toys (Bend-Ems / Diamond Select)

Invader Zim is an odd little series. Despite it's wide and ongoing acclaim, one could argue it's broadest appeal came in merchandising; just think how many kids you've seen rocking that iconic GIR hoodie, perhaps with a dash of MCR bracelets and a pinch of unholy facial piercings. From the memorable Irken insignia to GIR's stupid little face, the series' iconography have well surpassed the brand itself; half those kids would have no idea their cool little jacket came from a nightmare cartoon about gigantic weenies and mentally deranged moose-beings - and, good for them. They're better off for it. 

Unfortunately, not all of us have remained unacquainted with the twisted Zim universe. In case it's not obvious going by my art style, writing style, and... well, entire personality, Zim was a series I seriously loved as a young teenager. Hell, I'm still a fan - I just threw on the pilot the other night. Being a proud toy hoarder, I've amassed the majority of Palisades' impressive 2004 Invader Zim series, released hot off the trails of the series' first DVD release; from the awesome base playset, to the box set exclusive duty mode GIR. I've always thought that variant was supposed to look like the mystic Bloody GIR - if you know, you know.

Since the toy line's end in 2005, there hasn't been much in terms of legitimate Zim action figures. There's been a handful of GIR bits and bobs, a run of miniature bobbleheads, plenty of stuffed animals - but no real toys. The closest we've got was 2019's Sunny Days Entertainment "Bend-Ems" Zim and Dib; a pretty cool little duo of figures, definitely worthy of your shelf - especially if you can't, or don't want to cough up what eBay and friends are asking for Palisades' long out of print figures. 

I jumped on these guys as soon as I realized they'd released; resulting in me overpaying significantly, having assumed they'd never show up on proper store shelves - they hadn't yet! Give it a week, I suddenly see them for $15~ each at Hot Topic. After months, and months of total obscurity. Go figure. 

In my excitement, though, I happened upon the figure's first appearance at Toy Fair 2019, covered by Figures.com. Resting on a table beneath various test packaging cards was the Bend-Ems figure variety themselves, ranging from Hank Hill, to Popeye, to Voltron, to... GIR and Gaz. Complete with GameSlave. While I assumed they'd eventually release - GIR's dog design all but guaranteeing it - years later, it looks like we'll never see these additional characters. 

It's really too bad; the Bend-Ems aren't ground breaking, but they capture Zim's noodly design in an effective manner. I've always felt that despite Palisades insane range and accuracy, the figures were ultimately too fragile for their own good - something completely voided by a series of toys made of literal bouncy rubber. While nothing much was really lost, I can definitely say I would've bought GIR and Gaz, no problem.

Finally, it happened. Januray 22nd, 2021 - a new Invader Zim toy line. Disgusting nerd collector websites reported company Diamond Select - known for their strange Walgreens residency - had announced a new series of Zim toys, complete with alternate heads and accessories - just like Palisades, but new!

From the press release;

Invader Zim Series 1 Deluxe Action Figure Asst.

A Diamond Select Toys release! Dooooooom! Invader Zim has returned to invade the Earth again, this time as an all-new series of action figures from Diamond Select Toys! Each set of two 3-4” figures – Zim with Gir, Boy-Disguise Zim with Dib, and Dog-Disguise Gir with Gaz – includes multiple accessories and interchangeable parts. Each pair comes packaged in a full-color window box. Designed by David Forrest, sculpted by Paul Harding! 

I think I speak for every Zim freak when I say, these look wicked. The dancing gopher - a bad, bad rubber piggy - Gaz' horrifying robotic guards! You rarely see lines so dedicated to fanservice, and you really get the feeling they were aiming for something as cohesive as the aforementioned Palisades series. 


While the Bend-Ems notably didn't use the redesigns seen in 2019's Invader Zim feature, Enter the Florpus, Select seems to have gone for a happy medium; Dib's got his Florpus incarnation's big, googly head, but also the paler skin and straight faced tee seen on TV. I actually dig this; not everyone's a fan of Florpus' much softer look, but I think it works really well in the context of the film itself. It would've been fitting to have a new range of Zim figures referencing these modern designs; a set for the original series, and a set for the movie. Really, I think they ought to have bit the bullet and adapted the movie designs directly - would've been a lot more desirable, as a collector. But that's just me. 

I really love the expressive sculpts and poses; executed a bit better than Palisades' versions, in some cases. Irken Zim's pissed off overbite looks perfect. Each character had an alternate head, seemingly except for doggy GIR; I'd assume they didn't feel the need to give the most recognizable character too distinct of a variant. On the other hand, though, I gotta admit human Zim doesn't look too hot; something about his eyes and head shape is a little too Dr. Cortex. Dib's also a little weird; I know I just defended the whole Florpus thing, but it's cartoonier, friendlier take on Dib, at face value, isn't my favorite. His alternate head is a perfect example of that. All in all, the paint applications and attention to detail are really eye catching, great for fans, but the sculpts just don't consistently bring things together. Especially not in the same way as their predecessors. 

So, why the past tense? Well, as of September 2nd, the series has officially been cancelled. Having pre-ordered the first wave, I've been keeping the occasional eye on the series; after all, I was pretty hyped for this release. While it originally was slated to ship during the summertime, the months went on, and the due date was pushed - again, and again - indefinitely... to the point where I started considering cancelling my pre-order. The thought passed, here and there, when today I figured I ought to get my hundred or so back - but lo and behold, Big Bad Toy Store was was step ahead.


Rest in Peace. Select themselves have mentioned the cancellation is due to production issues, hoping to resolicit, and the line has been marked "sold out" on most websites. While I'm sad the series didn't come out, I think at the end of the day, it's another case of nothing much was lost - especially since they were largely  retreading an already popular and still respected series. I would've loved a new set of spooky dudes, but I'll survive with the one I've already got. 

The company did end up releasing a PVC statue featuring a triumphant Zim and GIR later in 2021, designed by the same sculptors as the figures; making it effectively the only mass-release glimpse at this line. I haven't ended up buying it, yet, but I suppose if you had to choose one, this was a pretty solid choice; and a good note to end on.


What's next for the wild, wild world of Invader Zim action figures? Probably not much, honestly. The Florpus press cycle has ended, the comic's ended, the hype's died down, and good ole Zim's back to outdated internet forum territory. Just the way we like it. I think the cancellations of both series reflect the fleeting nature of Zim's media presence; par the course for your average cult classic, fashionably late and quick to leave. Interest is bound to ebb and flow, and while that's great for a weird obscure animated series, that's not so great for a toy line. It's interesting to see the original shows' fade in a smaller, faster scale; Zim was huge again for a minute, only to once again draw back.

Now watch as all eight of these figures are released in the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment